At 7pm the Anniversary Dinner was held in the Raeburn and Carstares room in Old College. The menu and toast list follow these minutes.
The official guests
At the dinner, the President introduced the official guests of the Society:
- The speakers, Professor Martin Taylor and Professor John Toland.
- The new Honorary Members, Professor Sir John Ball, Professor James Dickson Murray and Professor Murray's wife, Mrs Sheila Murray.
In addition, several other guests of the Society were present at the dinner:
- Professor David Abrahams, University of Manchester, President of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications.
- Professor Sir Michael Atiyah, University of Edinburgh, Honorary Member of the Society and President of the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
- Professor Brian Davies, King's College London, President of the London Mathematical Society.
- Professor Ari Laptev, Imperial College, President of the European Mathematical Society and his wife, Marilyn Minns-Lapteva.
- Professor Adam McBride, Strathclyde University, who proposed a toast to the Society.
- Mrs Judy Morrison and Mr David Morrison: Judy Morrison is a great-granddaughter of Dr George Thom, who was one of the founders of the Society and the 5th President.
- Professor Michael Singer, Head of the School of Mathematics, University of Edinburgh.
In replying to Professor McBride, the President thanked all those who had contributed to the occasion. He then drew attention to some of the current activity within the Society and commented on the opportunities and challenges for the Society in the years ahead.
Raeburn and Carstares Room
Corn fed Chicken with Tarragon
Citrus Mousse Profiteroles
Tea and Coffee
With Petit Fours
The Society: Professor Adam McBride, University of Strathclyde.
Reply: The President.
Sauvignon Blanc, Largesse
Pinot Grigio, Bella Modella
Chemin Blanc, Aloe Tree
Shiraz, Aloe Tree
Nero D'Avola, Bella Modella
Malbec, Santa Rosa
Sheila T Murray
James D Murray
Neil K Dickson
Frederike van Wijck
Judith Morrison (née Thom)