References for Thomas Simpson
Version for printing
- P J Wallis, Biography in Dictionary of Scientific Biography (New York 1970-1990).
- Biography by Niccolò Guicciardini, in Dictionary of National Biography (Oxford, 2004).
- F M Clarke, Thomas Simpson and His Times (New York, 1929).
- R W Farebrother, Studies in the history of probability and statistics XLII. Further details of contacts between Boscovich and Simpson in June 1760, Biometrika 77 (2) (1990), 397-400.
- C Hutton, Memoirs of the life and writings of the author, in T Simpson, Select exercises for young proficients in the mathematicks (1792).
- N Kollerstrom, Thomas Simpson and 'Newton's method of approximation' : an enduring myth, British J. Hist. Sci. 25 (86)(3) (1992), 347-354.
- E Shoesmith, Thomas Simpson and the arithmetic mean, Historia Mathematica 12 (1986), 352-355.
- S M Stigler, The History of Statistics. The Measurement of Uncertainty before 1900 (Cambridge, Mass.-London, 1986), 88-.
- S M Stigler, Studies in the history of probability and statistics. XL. Boscovich, Simpson and a 1760 manuscript note on fitting a linear relation, Biometrika 71 (3) (1984), 615-620.
JOC/EFR February 2005
The URL of this page is: