References for William Horner
Version for printing
- M E Baron, Biography in Dictionary of Scientific Biography (New York 1970-1990).
- Biography by Anita McConnell, in Dictionary of National Biography (Oxford, 2004).
- J L Coolidge, The Mathematics of Great Amateurs (Oxford, 1949),
- L Bankoff, The metamorphoses of the Butterfly Problem, Math. Mag. 60 (1987), 195-210.
- M H Bektasova, From the history of numerical methods for the solution of equations (Russian), in Collection of questions on mathematics and mechanics No. 8 (Russian) (Alma-Ata, 1976), 18-28; 226.
- F Cajori, Horner's Method of Approximation Anticipated by Ruffini, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 17 (1911), 409-414.
- A T Fuller, Horner versus Holdred: an episode in the history of root computation, Historia Math. 26 (1) (1999), 29-51.
JOC/EFR February 2005
The URL of this page is: