Quadratic etc equations references
References for: Quadratic, cubic and quartic equations
Version for printing
- A R Amir-Moéz, Khayyam, al-Biruni, Gauss, Archimedes, and quartic equations, Texas J. Sci. 46 (3) (1994), 241-257.
- A E Berriman, The Babylonian quadratic equation, Math. Gaz. 40 (1956), 185-192.
- J N Crossley, The Emergence of Number (Singapore, 1987).
- R Franci and T Rigatelli, Storia della teoria delle equazioni algebriche (Milan, 1979).
- R Franci and T Rigatelli, Towards a history of algebra from Leonardo of Pisa to Luca Pacioli, Janus 72 (1985), 17-85.
- S Gandz, Studies in Babylonian mathematics. III. Isoperimetric problems and the origin of the quadratic equations, Isis 32 (1940), 101-115.
- J P Hogendijk, Sharaf al-Din al-Tusi on the number of positive roots of cubic equations, Historia Mathematica 16 (1) (1989), 69-85.
- B Hughes, The earliest correct algebraic solutions of cubic equations, Vita mathematica (Washington, DC, 1996), 107-112.
- C Romo Santos, Cardano's 'Ars magna' and the solutions of cubic and quartic equations (Spanish), Rev. Acad. Canaria Cienc. 7 (1) (1995), 187-201.
- P Schultz,Tartaglia, Archimedes and cubic equations, Austral. Math. Soc. Gaz. 11 (4) (1984), 81-84.
- G S Smirnova, Geometric solution of the cubic equations in Raffaele Bombelli's 'Algebra' (Russian), Istor. Metodol. Estestv. Nauk 36 (1989), 123-129.
- P D Yardley, Graphical solution of the cubic equation developed from the work of Omar Khayyam, Bull. Inst. Math. Appl. 26 (5-6) (1990), 122-125.
JOC/EFR February 1996
The URL of this page is: