References for: Topology and Scottish mathematical physics
- M Epple, Die Entstehung der Knotentheorie (Braunschweig, 1999).
- P M Harman (ed.), James Clerk Maxwell, The scientific letters and papers of James Clerk Maxwell 1862-1873 II (Cambridge, 1995).
- C G Knott, Life and Scientific Work of Peter Guthrie Tait (Cambridge, 1911).
- T Archibald, Connectivity and smoke-rings : Green's second identity in its first fifty years, Math. Mag. 62 (4) (1989), 219-232.
- M Epple, Topology, matter, and space. I. Topological notions in 19th-century natural philosophy, Arch. Hist. Exact Sci. 52 (4) (1998), 297-392.
- M Epple, Geometric aspects in the development of knot theory, in I M James (ed.), History of topology (Amsterdam, 1999), 301-358.
- C Nash, Topology and physics - a historical essay, in I M James (ed.), History of topology (Amsterdam, 1999), 359-416.
JOC/EFR January 2001
MacTutor History of Mathematics