Ely, Cambridgeshire

Ely, 16 miles north of Cambridge, has one of England's finest cathedrals. In 1284, Hugo de Balsham, Bishop of Ely, founded Peterhouse, the oldest college at Cambridge. He is buried in the Cathedral in front of the High Altar.

George Peacock, the algebraist and member of the Analytical Society, was Dean of Ely from 1839, and is commemorated in the Cathedral. When the Cathedral was restored c. 1870, the architect, Sir Gilbert Scott, installed a pavement maze of his own design under the west tower, the only cathedral maze in Britain.

See THIS LINK


To see an Ordnance Survey map click at THIS LINK

Search the Gazetteer:

Gazetteer Index Main MacTutor index

An extract from The Mathematical Gazetteer of the British Isles created by David Singmaster

The original site is at THIS LINK